United Under the Theme: END THE WAR ON THE WORKING CLASS!
WORKERS WILL CONVENE ACTIONS AND EVENTS TO BUILD WORKERS POWER
TO CHALLENGE THE ATTACKS ON WORKING FAMILIES
SAN DIEGO, CA- Organizations throughout San Diego unite to push back on the anti-worker climate currently facing both non-union and unionized workers. Organizations from throughout San Diego County will mobilize in a demonstration of class unity and internationalist solidarity with workers throughout the world to demand an end to all expressions of war, exploitation and the growing gap between the financial capitalist billionaire class and the working class.
The $770 billion dollars war budget passed by congress surpasses all social priorities such as healthcare, (medical, and medicaid), housing, education, and protecting the environment. Instead we have seen an escalation in funding for war on working people the world over, increased military aid to support the occupation of Palestine, illegal and unilateral economic, financial and commercial blockades against Cuba and Venezuela.
The continued funding of war at home with increased budgets for police, border patrol, immigration enforcement and detention of migrant workers has aggravated the economic recovery of black and brown communities.
Locally we have seen :
- 150 unionized workers laid off because of Immigration related I-9 audits by ICE, despite being considered “essential workers”.
- The City of San Diego passed a Street Vendor ordinance that excludes and penalizes street vendors from vending at certain locations with threats of heavy penalties.
- Kroger affiliated grocery markets are making millions in profit yet won’t negotiate a fair labor contract for essential workers who made them so profitable during the pandemic.
The anti-worker sentiment illustrated by corporations that have become extremely wealthy because of the pandemic have doubled down to increase their profit margins by engaging in union busting. The most notable are Amazon and Starbucks.
In an expression of Unity we San Diego workers will rally behind the following demands:
- Dignity for all Workers
- End To War Funding
- Housing as a Human Right
- End to the Domestic War on Black and Brown Communities
- Critical Education and Democratic Schooling
- Health Care for All
May 1st endorsing organizations include:
- AnakBayan San Diego
- Association of Raza Educators- San Diego
- All of Us Or None
- American Friends Service Committee
- American Federation of Teachers
- Free Them All- San Diego
- Human Rights Council of Oceanside
- International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement
- Palestinian Youth Movement
- Party for Socialism & Liberation
- San Diego Education Association
- San Diego County Association of Educators
- United Food and Commercial Workers Local 135
- Socialist Unity Party
- UPTE-CWA 9119 Local 9
- United Auto Workers 2350
- San Diego Tenants Union
- San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council
- Unión del Barrio